[CT Birds] Pine Warblers and Pileated at Rosa Hartman

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Tue Mar 13 20:00:13 EDT 2012

Curious about the many recent Pine Warbler observations, I went to Rosa Hartman Park at 5 pm this afternoon to see if they had returned.  Sure enough, there was an immediate chorus sounding as if they had never sung before as I headed down the trail.  I saw 3 and heard at least 4, maybe 5; they were singing from all directions.  Also present was a male Pileated Woodpecker that I was able to observe for 10 minutes before it eventually wandered too close to the presumed territory of a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers.  One of the Red-bellied's began to attack the Pileated although it didn't seem too bothered by the harassment.  The Red-bellied continued to follow and try to peck at the Pileated as it moved from tree to tree until finally out of sight.  This is the second Pileated I've seen at Rosa Hartman in 2 years.

For any who are interested, here is a cute video that I enjoyed of a bird that lands on a fella's guitar while performing "Mordecai" at a bluegrass festival in NC:

Brenda Inskeep