[CT Birds] Some Historical Shrike info from CT

Robert DeCandido PhD rdcny at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 14 11:57:18 EDT 2012

Winter Territorialism of Gray Shrikes (Lanius excubitor). The
repeated homing of an adult female of the European race (see review
no. 19 in this issue) led me to examine my records of these shrikes
banded at our station in West Hartford, Connecticut. An immature
banded on December 5, 1953, and released some five miles to the
westward, returned on January 30, 1954, but did not return again
after being transported some eight miles airline in the same
direction. In the two following winters, five more (including one
adult) were released at distance of seven or eight miles, mostly in
the same westerly direction, and none returned. No major geographic
barriers intervene, though a low range of hills may have some effect.
As no shrikes were seen around our station other than those captured,
it is very doubtful that any of these shrikes returned without being
recaptured. My impression, from this limited evidence, would be that
homing ability on winter territory may vary with the individual, and
is less strong in immature shrikes. -- E. Alexander Bergstrom, 37 Old
Brook Road, West Hartford 7, Conn.

Bird Banding28(3): 160 (July1957)
===================

BIRD NOTES FROM LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK.
by William Dutcher.

Lanius ludovicianus. Loggerhead Shrike. The first record of this
species on Long Island was made by Mr. N.T. Lawrence in 1878 (Forest
and Stream, Vol. X, p. 235). No other records have been made since,
that I am aware of. I have the pleasure of adding a second record - a
male, young of the year, taken August 28, 1888, at Springs, Suffolk
Co. It was sent to me in the flesh by a correspondent, Mr. Daniel D.
Parsons, who occasionally sends me birds, especially those that are
new or strange to him. His letter of transmit stated that the Shrike
"was alone, and was shot from the highest branch of an apple tree, in
the middle of a field. I never saw one like it before." From the date
of capture, and also from the 1ocality near the extreme eastern part
of the Island, it is probable that this specimen was bred on Long
Island or in the adjoining State of Connecticut.

Auk 1888: Vol. 5, No. 2, April-June: 131-139 (excerpt).