[CT Birds] Paul D's "Interesting Experience"

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Mar 15 00:12:38 EDT 2012

Rob et al.

I don't have any research to cite, but a couple things come to mind. In
these kinds of situations birds are responding to more than one stimulus -
sound, stereotyped displays and appearance at least. So if a bird responded
to the "wrong" song it would still have appearance and display to rely on
for a "correct" pairing. However, since hybrids do occur, the system isn't
perfect. Also, perhaps a young, inexperienced bird might be more apt to
respond to a "wrong" song. Just a couple possibilities.

Greg Hanisek