[CT Birds] Paul D's "Interesting Experience"

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:57:54 EDT 2012

All,

This is not a purely scientific thought, however, I think that while a bird
is already defending territory, it may be in the birds interest to react to
any perceived threat, no matter how unlikely.

I think of it like how we (humans) evolved.  If we are in the woods and
hear something rustle in a bush, our sympathetic nervous system kicks in
and we become more alert and ready to run (or fight) because, even if the
noise is just the wind nine times out of ten, the one time it *is* a
mountain lion we had better be prepared for it.

There are costs associated to reacting to intruders, such as increased
exposure to predators, metabolic (and perhaps injury) costs associated with
attacking another bird, however, if a bird wasn't aggressive when defending
its territory, their territory may shrink and a female may not breed with
them, culminating in their passive genes not being passed on.

Just a thought without any real scientific study to back it up.

Kevin
___________________________________
Kevin Burgio
Ph.D. Student