[CT Birds] How early is early for waterfowl?

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Mar 15 16:26:03 EDT 2012

Jonah et al.

Wood Duck used to be a species that disappeared for the most part after
early winter, but the with recent warmer winters more have been wintering
over, so there's not really an "early" date for them any more. These days
the only regularly occurring waterfowl that clears out for the winter is
Blue-winged Teal. I don't think any have been reported yet this spring but
some could show up any time this month with peak numbers in April. The first
CT reports to eBird last year were on March 28.

Greg Hanisek