[CT Birds] Pileated Woodpeckers

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 15 19:59:55 EDT 2012

I've had an unusual number of Pileated Woodpecker observations throughout Bethany, this winter and spring:  at the Spykman Preserve near Sperry Road many times, Downs Road, Hatfield Road at eye level, behind the Old Airport on Rte 63, in my own backyard, etc.  I love 'em, in all of their Holocene splendor.
(Disclaimer:  These observations in no way make any conclusions as to the population density or distribution of Pileated Woodpecker, Drycopus pileatus,  in the Northeastern US.)
Steve Mayo