[CT Birds] Some Gulls at last

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri Mar 16 15:48:36 EDT 2012

At Penfield Reef this afternoon I came home to finally discover a good concentration of gulls. There are at least a couple thousand, all Herring, Ring-billed, and Great Black-backed, no Bonaparte's unfortunately. However, I did not scan the gulls thoroughly at all so there could be an Iceland or Lesser Black-backed Gull or something in there. I was just happy to see the concentration  plankton-feeding, along with some Brant and Goldeneyes. This is still is nowhere near the peak I saw last year where there were more than 15,000 gulls, but that occurred on March 22nd of last year, so I imagine that the best is still to come. Ross' or Slaty-backed Gull anyone....???

James Purcell