[CT Birds] Can anyone advise me on when to expect orioles to return?

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sat Mar 17 10:41:00 EDT 2012

The orioles appear in our yard in May, with the apple blossoms (I'd have to check my journal to give you more precise dates). We often hear them before we see them - listen for those whistle-songs and chattery calls, and you'll know they're around for sure. There's usually about 2 weeks of peak orange-eating activity as they set up territories and battle for the females, then things quiet down. (Although I have seen nesting females raiding our compost pile for fruit and veggie scraps.)
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester