[CT Birds] Gull info from 10:00 a.m., SISP

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 17:11:44 EDT 2012

10 a.m. I was at Sherwood Island State Park with the Western Ct Bird Club,
aand about 12 observers including Larry Fischer and Angela Dimmit.  We saw
a raft of about 3,000 gulls, about equally mixed Herring and Ring-billed
with a few Great Black-backed fairly close to shore and out further,
stretching off toward Southport Beach, another very large raft of about
10,000 ; same species distribution.  We also saw Red-breasted Mergansers,
Scaup, Common Loons, Widgeon sp. (we tried to make him into a Eurasian but
every bird seemed to have a golden glow about the head, so we gave up),
Horned Grebes, Common Goldeneyes, a few Brant and Larry saw a Canvasback.
We went to Compo and saw about seven Long-tailed Ducks, few gulls.  At
Burying Hill (in hopes of the absent Lesser Black-backed) there we also few

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut