[CT Birds] Durham and Wethersfield, woodcocks

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 10:21:17 EDT 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
3/18 -- Durham, skating pond on CT 68 -- 8 NORTHERN SHOVELERS seen around 7 AM
Wethersfield, Spring Street pond -- PIED-BILLED GREBE continues

I took a woodcock run through Durham and surrounding towns before sunrise.  I find morning is always better than evening as there is far less traffic and background noise.  Anyway, despite the overcast skies and occasional fog, it was a fine morning for timberdoodles, as I recorded them in seven different locations in four different towns between 5:15 and 6:30.  The courtship display of this odd species is one of my favorite spring spectacles.

Miscellany -- Song Sparrows, which seemed to be less numerous than usual most of the winter, have really popped.  I heard untold dozens singing on territory this morning, even one singing in Middlefield before 5 AM!  I noticed far fewer gulls in places like the Wethersfield Cove and Goodwin Park and didn't see a single one along the Farmington River in Collinsville.  Hyperbole about early migrants aside (and I think some of it is), gulls don't generally vacate our area en masse until mid-April.  Perhaps they're really gone early or it was just circumstance for me this morning.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT