[CT Birds] Lyme/Old Lyme birds

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 12:49:38 EDT 2012

Checked out a couple of spots in the Lymes yesterday morn with  Hank Golet
who knows the area so well.

Among the birds we had were:

2 Pine Warblers (heard only)
1 Fox Sparrow
3 Bald Eagles, 2  adults, 1 imm.
Peregrine Falcon on the Baldwin Bridge tower
2 Common Mergs, m. and f.

The mergs were on the Lieutenant River near where we saw the  adult eagles.
 The immature eagle was seen at the end of Ely Ferry  Rd.

In the afternoon I went back to Ely Ferry Rd for a bit after doing some
errands and had the following:

3 Virginia Rails (heard only)
2 Ospreys taking aerial swipes an an imm. Bald Eagle (most likely the same
one as in the morn)
2 Eastern Bluebirds
1 Swamp Sparrow
a flock of Am. Goldfinch
lots of Red-winged Blackbirds singing in the marshes.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford