[CT Birds] Red-s-Hawks interaction

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 18 13:25:01 EDT 2012

I remember seeing a similar report as this one a while back. I just had another
one today as well, and here is what i saw.

For quite a few years now, we have had a pair of Red-S-Hawks nesting in the
neighborhood here in Harwinton. And what a treat to have them here, and back
once again as a common sighting in CT as well. Not to many years ago they were
almost non-existent in CT.

Well this morning I again saw and heard this local pair within the woods where
they have started a nest. They were being even more vocal than usual, so I
started to observe why. Soon one was spiraling above the house being very noisy.
Also the female was heard in the direction of the nest. Shortly, the bird above
me began to get higher. Soon there were 2 birds, then 4, then 6, all spiraling
together in a kettle. The bird on the nest flew low over my head and also began
spiraling up. Now these 7 RS Hawks were all together in this kettle, and some
higher birds began to stoop down towards the lower ones. this continued for quit
awhile. Eventually some began to get high and head off to the NE.

I believe I just saw, my local pair coming to task in chasing off these other 5
intruders on their territory. The other 5 it appears were birds migrating
through. This is the time of year that RS Hawks do migrate through CT for areas
to the north.

What a thrill it was to see this interaction between 7 very beautiful hawks, one
I have never seen before.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton