[CT Birds] Tree swallows, phoebe flight?, new Steep Rock preserve land - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 18 16:47:40 EDT 2012

I noted tree swallows flying about the field below our house here on South St here in Washington, CT this afternoon checking out our bluebird boxes which they nest in. My mother said the tree swallows were here on Saturday. I was not here on Saturday.

I took a walk this afternoon from our house here South St south on South St and then east on Nichols Hill Rd to Painter Ridge Rd. I was amazed to hear at least six eastern phoebe on my walk. Looks like a bit of phoebe fall out last night? I noted land on Nichols Hill Rd that been marked with Steep Rock preserve signs, the local land trust in Washington, CT. Happy to see these signs, as this area is a favorite local birding area of mine. On one Christmas Bird Count we had ruffed grouse in this area of Nichols Hill Rd.

David W Babington