[CT Birds] Gulls, Tree Swallows, Osprey Stratford

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 22:08:43 EDT 2012

At 10a.m. today there were maybe 50 Gulls at Long Beach but some could be seen out in the water with Brant though numbers very hard to determine with overcast skies.  Went back around 12-1230 and the beaches between the jettys and jettys had a lot of Gulls and Brants.  One the 3rd Jetty also about 40-50 Sanderlings and I believe a few Dunlins (longer slightly curved down bill - need to break out my book).  Went back around 6:15 to see many Gulls along the beach and a good number of Brant off shore.  At 6:32 all the Gulls took off and headed South.  Would it be too early for them to head to their night roosting spot?

These were the tides for today:

Sun   18      Low   2:47 AM     0.3
    18     High   8:56 AM     6.8
    18      Low   3:20 PM     0.1
    18     High   9:26 PM     6.8
Other highlights:
Tree Swallows in the Marshes and I was able to get a few decent shots, one when he/she flew right above me.
FOY Osprey at the 550 Pond behind the warehouses.
Sanderlings and I believe a few Dunlins at Long Beach
Lots of Grackles in my yard...a few getting all puffied up for the ladies perhaps?

Grackles only:

Gulls, Osprey, Tree Swallows, Sparrows, Sanderlings/Dunlin(?) Etc.

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT