[CT Birds] Western Tanager NO, Osprey, Golden Eagle

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 15:35:06 EDT 2012

3/19 - Mystic, Peace Sanctuary - I stopped by to check on the Western Tanager
this morning, and Maggie Jones, the gracious host, told me that they haven't
seen the bird in the past two days. I waited for about an hour and saw the other
birds come in for a joint feeding, which is how I saw the tanager the last time
I was there, but it didn't appear.

Great Island, Old Lyme - 2 Ospreys on separate platforms

Pettipaug Yacht Club, Essex - Around 1:40 pm I saw a Golden Eagle appear across
the river over Joshua Rock. It was proceeding along the tree line, when a not
quite adult Bald Eagle appeared and started harassing it. Their was a brief
interlocking of talons, and then the Golden veered off to the left. The Bald
Eagle pursued it and made a few passes at it with talons lowered. The Golden did
not engage again and kept changing its course, but the Bald Eagle followed it
across the river over the yacht club, swooping down close and making one more
pass with talons lowered. The Golden Eagle kept ignoring it and flew placidly
on. Very exciting to see!

Sara Zagorski