[CT Birds] Westport/Southport Sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:50:28 EDT 2012

3/20/12 - Westport Sherwood Island SP- Virginia Rail seen flying in the ditch near wooden footbridge,300+ Ring-billed and Herring Gulls feeding on worms yesterday and today in the grass circle after entering the park at early morning. Saugatuck River Bridge I-95 - 2 Peregrine Falcons,one flying down river,the other having a meal on the bridge early morning. Fairfield-Southport Beach- Merlin flew in and landed at the top of a Spruce across from the beach  I'm beginning to think we may have Virginia Rails breeding at Sherwood Island SP.We have heard and seen two rails since last October and also in October 2010 and through last winter.
Tina GreenWestport