[CT Birds] Golden Eagle??

David Carey careydavid at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 21 00:12:53 EDT 2012

Approximately 8:30 am, 3/20 on route 9 north just west of I91, I saw a larger
than normal, predominantly dark bird with a distinctive white band across the
tail fly over the highway and into the woods to the south.  I am very use to
seeing the growing number of Red Tails that habitate along the highway so this
larger and darker bird was a suprise.  Definatley not a Turkey Vulture.  When I
was able to check my Audubon Ap the first thing that jumped out at me was Golden
Eagle (white band on tail).  Similar is the Rough-legged Hawk, but my bird
didn't look light enough to be a R-L.  Any thoughts on if it may have been a
Golden?  Birding at 70 mph is kinda tough, but I would like to be able to add
this one to my life list.  Thanks for any feed back.

Captain Dave