[CT Birds] woodcock, still got juncos

Carol Ansel carolansel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:45:01 EDT 2012

Hi all -
Went to Haley Farm in Groton to listen for woodcock at dusk - stayed for about half and hour, heard maybe a half dozen or so peenting, but alas, no courtship display flights. Anyone know if there are specific factors (weather, exact time of day, proximity of females etc.) that determine whether or not the "peenters" turn in to "displayers"?  Glenn?

Also, kind of surprised to see a junco still mixed in with my song & house sparrows - every day I think it will be his/her last for the season...

Carol Ansel
Mystic