[CT Birds] Boston Hollow, Ashford, 3-20-12

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 12:22:05 EDT 2012

After being completely barren all winter Boston Hollow and the Yale forest
has finally started to come alive. Birds are spotty, some spots quiet,
others  filled with twitter. Best bird of the day for me was definitely a
singing WINTER  WREN! Last year's winter snows apparently killed off all the
residents and I  only heard one bird sing once last spring. I assume he moved on
because he  didn't attract a mate. But this bird was singing his head off -
I heard him  at least 8 times in 10 minutes or so. Only thing I noticed is
that his song was  a little shorter than normal. Wonder if that implies a
young bird. Perhaps it's  not a coincidence that the bird was in the exact spot
I got my life WIWR years  ago.
Last Thursday I also found a pair of Hooded Mergansers in Bigelow  Brook.
Not an uncommon bird but a first for me in that area.
Yesterday I found a beautiful pair of Hairy Woodpeckers, working old stumps
 right along the road. Also, many E. Phoebes calling in some areas. And the
 Common Ravens are back. I saw one Thursday flying silently over the
ridgeline, but yesterday the pair was obviously together again, making a racket
and chasing a Turkey Vulture away from what I assume is their chosen nest
area  for the year, very close to where it was 2 years ago.
The icing on the cake was 2 pairs of Wood Ducks on a little pond in bright
sunlight. Are Wood Ducks Gorgeous? Do bears ....? Follow this link to see
(no  bears though):

http://www.photoshop.com/users/mntncougar/albums/24f8efafc22c495dabf551242d0
dc82f?wf=slideshow

1 Winter Wren