[CT Birds] Woodcocks . . .3/21/12

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Mar 22 15:33:36 EDT 2012

Eric,

Stealth really isn't all that necessary when they are displaying. You can hear them "peenting" a long way off, and when they are airborne you can move rapidly to the area they are using on the ground. Once there, all you have to do is remain still. I have regularly had them land within 25 feet of me using this method (and once within 6 feet). However, Haley Farm is likely only a good place for birds that have just arrived that day/night. Those birds will likely move on quickly from there alas. I have seen double digit numbers of displaying newly arrived Woodcock at coastal locations where they certainly would not stay. I would suggest checking inland fields, large powerline cuts, or open disturbed areas around woodlands since many birds are now back and on territory. They are also at Barn Island WMA in Stonington around the last impoundment and the fields along the northeast border of the WMA. I would think that Haley Farm sees so much human and dog (and cat and coyote and fisher and maybe even bobcat) traffic that it would be tough place for Woodcock to stay and raise youg'uns.

Dave

David Provencher
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.