[CT Birds] Westport - Mockingbird???

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 23 16:30:28 EDT 2012

To add to Greg's fine overview, many times over the years along the CT coast, I
have seen what I assume is a migration of Northern Mockingbirds.  For several
years at Manresa Is., Norwalk in late summer - autumn, I would see as many as 10
or more of them flying in a flock in the same direction.
And twice this week, I have seen a "flock" of six Mockingbirds along the
Stratford shoreline (Long Beach on one day, Stratford Point on another), where
during the winter I'd be lucky to see just one on occasion.  (The Multiflora
rose hips were eaten long ago).  It's almost as if these flocks just arrived
from elsewhere.  I wonder if they are nocturnal migrants, and thus their
migration is seldom seen and poorly understood.
And, for sure, they are singing energetically now.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford