[CT Birds] Rocky Neck SP in Niantic: 2 Osprey, 1 Chipping Sparrow, 1 Snowy Egret

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 19:04:53 EDT 2012

Friday, March 23 late afternoon walk at Rocky Neck SP in Niantic.  Was
doing an exercise walk and only had bins.  There may be other stuff in the
marshes that I missed not having my scope with me.

highlights included:

2 Osprey, both seen flying.  Only one platform had a nest and it did  not
look to me like that nest was in use.
1 Snowy Egret
2 Hooded Mergansers

in the campground:

numerous singing E. Bluebirds (1 pair already on a nest box)
2 No. Flickers
1 E. Phoebe frantically singing it "phoebe" song and also giving a raspy
call.  The bird was hanging around the rafters of a building in the road
near the campground.
Robins everywhere
Cowbirds singing

1 Chipping Sparrow -- and yes, I am almost afraid to report this, but it
was definitely a Chipping Sparrow, as I had a long clear look at it from
about 10 feet away.  It was in the bottom part of a deciduous tree in the
campground and came down to the ground with two chickadees and then both the
chickadees and the chipping sparrow hung out with the  robins.  For  me, it
wasn't so much the field marks of the chipping that helped me instantly,  but
more so seeing the bird right next to a chickadee and noting how small  both
birds are.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford