[CT Birds] the great RT Hummingbird controversy

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 20:57:36 EDT 2012

While I generally agree with Marshall Iliff,in his rants, I think, first of
 all, he is a little too eager to be dismissive of all out-of-season
sightings.  We certainly see things that are in the wrong place at the wrong time
in CT, and  in the case of hummers, we frequently get NON-RUBYTHOAT hummers
in the winter  that typically last until early February. Case in point, the
Calliope in  Simsbury a few years ago. In most cases they simply perish as
that one did  because they cannot withstand the weather, but certainly this
year it would have  had a good chance. And as to the Michigan reference, I
follow the Mi. list  occasionally and was aware of those sightings. I am also
aware that Allen  Chartier, Mi. birding guru and expert on hummers in
particular, cautioned on  their list to be careful in ID'ing such sightings, not
because they might not be  hummers, but because they MIGHT NOT BE
RUBYTHROATS! Mi has had a winter almost  on par with ours, and he apparently feels it
is quite likely that birds such as  Rufous and Allens could have made it
through.
As to the thrush, while most of us know a winter Wood thrush is unlikely,
we also know that a winter Hermit is very possible. I saw one at least a
month  ago now, and another last Tuesday at Pomfret Audubon on a bird walk. And
I  believe someone could easily mis-ID a thrush and still know a hummer
when they  saw it.
Ok, that's my rant.

Don Morgan
Coventry