[CT Birds] the great RT Hummingbird controversy

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:16:19 EDT 2012

As someone who has invested a lot of time chasing hummingbirds around and as a firm believer that unlikely things can and do occur, i would like to say that Marshall is right on the ball with his
notes of caution.  Not meaning to speak for him, I do believe that Marshall believes birds occur out of season.  I think was very nicely saying something that I might have been a bit more blunt about.  Birds like Eastern Pewee and the others he mentions are repeatedly reported in CT way too early. They are reported without convincing details or documentation. They are reported at exactly the same time as birds they can be confused with. I do not believe Ruby-throated hummingbirds are in the state as migrants yet. If there are any holdover western hummers around, I guess i wish i had heard about them sooner. If anyone wants to claim a month early pewee or hummingbird, photos or getting corroboration by others would certainly help your case. These dates are rather important to what we know about birds. Casual sightings of very unusual occurences are tantalizing but still of very little real use. It is all about evidence.