[CT Birds] Greenland Canada Geese in Avon

David Lawton lawtonesq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 11:14:14 EDT 2012

Late this winter there was a flock of Canada Geese foraging regularly in
the fields around Tilotson Road. I reported two color-banded individuals
earlier this month and just yesterday their origin was finally determined.
They were both banded as adults in Greenland in 2008! See email below. If
anyone is interested in the attachments referenced in the email, let me
Happy birding,

Dear David Lawton (and hearty thanks to you Rose as ever!)

I hope you will excuse an unsolicited letter from Denmark, but I have to
write and thank you very sincerely for kindly reporting the information
relating to the two Canada Geese bearing the yellow collars GNH and
CG7/GD7. In your submission to the Banding Lab, you reported the latter as
having a collar CG7 and a leg band GD7, so I have taken the later code to
be one that you read on both devices – I hope that this is correct.

These are both geese that we banded in Greenland, part of a project to mark
Greenland White-fronted and Canada Geese in west Greenland over several
years, and your observations are of great interest because as you will see,
neither GNH nor GD7 have never been reported outside Greenland, so we were
especially thrilled about these reports.

GNH was first captured and banded on a lake simply known as Lake F to the
catching team (very few lakes in this area have Greenlandic names) which is
at 67°06’56"N 50°30’10"N in an area known as Isunngua, immediately north of
the airport at Kangerlussuaq in west Greenland. This has been a study area
for our investigations on and off over many years. On that occasion, it was
banded with a yellow collar, a yellow tarsus band bearing the same engraved
combination and a metal Copenhagen Zoological Museum leg band. It was an
adult female captured on 23 July 2008, part of a catch of 13 adults but no
juveniles. GD7 was caught very close by on Lake C on 15 July 2009 and was
an adult female at capture, part of a catch of 9 adults on the lake on that

I have taken the liberty of attaching three files at the bottom of this
mail for your information -one containing the listing with your observation
along with others from this year so far and a pdf file containing a short
(now very out of date) paper describing our earlier findings (this file
need Adobe Reader to open - let me know if you cannot open this). Also
another new article we wrote about the origins of these Greenland Canada
Geese. If you would like a little more information about the project in
summer 2009 up until now, you can find this at:

…with an update from this year via the link on the bottom of the list in
the Word document.

I wonder if I could prevail upon you to confirm the latitude and longitude
for the site where I think you saw the bird based on Google Earth. If you
go in on Google Earth you can use the cursor to mark a position on the
satellite image that corresponds to where you saw the goose and you can
read off the lat/long in the bottom of the image. Don’t go to any trouble,
but a slightly better localization would be useful. Thank you!

Needless to say, if you have any other later reports of this bird or any
other ringed or collared Canada Geese (especially those beginning with G
since these are ours!) please do not hesitate to report them - we would be
extremely interested to know whether any other leg bands or collars turn up
in this area. We do very much appreciate the trouble to which you have gone
to find the right source to report these geese and are delighted to have
received the information! We are always very pleased to learn where our
Greenland geese turn up, so thanks for making the effort!

Do not hesitate to get in touch if you would like further information!

All very best wishes, enormous thanks again and look forward to hearing
more from you soon!