[CT Birds] Change of thrush

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 16:42:48 EDT 2012

Catharus thrushes are very difficult even under very good viewing conditions. Put that together with the fact that Hermit Thrushes are highly variable and no one need apologize for being confused or uncertain.

Bird migration is a remarkably constant occurence and our good fortune with weather has very little influence on it in any earth-shaking way. Greg Hanisek put together a brilliant compendium of the migration timetables for Connecticut and I'll be darned if the birds don't actually show up when the years of data say they will.

We should all be aware of anomolous occurences. A likely Allen's Hummingbird in MA yesterday is a good example ( though it is right on time by west coast migration standards).  Weird things will happen. Lets just not overlook the expected.