[CT Birds] Bird travel time

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Mon Mar 26 07:52:04 EDT 2012

On a semi-related note... there's been much talk of early arrivals on the list, and I realized: I have no idea how long it takes birds to get from point A to point B on migration.

There's been mention of early pine warblers + tree swallows. I have yet to see either in CT this year, but yesterday I was at the George Heinz NWR in Philly, and both species were quite abundant. This sounds like 4th grade math problem. "If the species is plentiful in Philly by 3/25, when will it be plentiful in CT? And a train leaves Chicago at 2:00..."

Also at the Heinz: turkeys making use of the bird feeders  :)

Jonah Cohen