[CT Birds] Bonies Southport

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 26 13:06:07 EDT 2012

>From Frank Mantlik
3/26 Southport Beach - just an update. The Bonaparte's Gull flock numbers 3300 birds, counted by tens to 1000 then extrapolated. The tide is now high and the flock is resting on the water out of the wind off the private homes to the east of Southport Beach.
The BLACK HEADED GULL (adult in full breeding plumage) flew in earlier, didn't stay long, then departed (though probably still in area). Bob DeCandido and Deb Allen also got to see it and photo it. I repeatedly looked through the flock but saw no other rare species.  At times there was much turnover of birds coming and going.
This is the largest flock of Bonies I've seen in CT in several years. I suspect as the tide falls the flock may return to the mouth of Sasco Creek at Southport Beach.

Sent from my iPod