[CT Birds] Sapsuckers back on nesting territory, and a question

paul cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:30:30 EDT 2012

Saturday afternoon, after the COA meeting, I was out in the yard cleaning
and doing various things. Not much activity in the afternoon except for the
bluebirds who were adding material to their box. Sunday morning I was doing
dishes after breakfast and looked out the window and saw one Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker drilling a hole in one of my trees. I walked outside a little
later and saw two sapsuckers, male and female, flying around together. Not
that this is anything unusual, sapsuckers nest in my yard every year.
However, it rain pretty steady Saturday night and early Sunday morning. I
was a little surprised to see that both of these birds chose to migrate in
the rain. Of all the nights to migrate, why did the sapsuckers pick a rainy
night?? Can anyone offer some more info regarding migration in the rain,
I'd be interested.

Thanks, Paul Cianfaglione