[CT Birds] Gannets in the west end

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 17:28:04 EDT 2012

Hi Bill and company,

In past years, I've done some late-day birding along the coast and seen things like Red-necked and Horned Grebes migrating west at (and after) dusk. Some folks in RI have suspected for years that a number of offshore species are moving into and through the Sound at night, such as Scoters and Grebes. I wouldn't be surprised if Gannets came in from the east at times when folks aren't looking.. pre-dawn and dusk, for example... I don't think there's much evidence of birds coming over Long Island (although who knows, they could do it early a.m. or late p.m.); I suspect the landmass acts more as wall/impediment given the dearth of pelagic species we get in the Sound, in general, compared to our southern neighbors..  That's my two cents..

Frank G.

Life is short. Bird often.