[CT Birds] Bonies Southport

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 27 05:54:54 EDT 2012

3/26 (Monday), continued.
I was curious to see if there were any flocks of Bonaparte's Gulls elsewhere, so
I drove to various sites in Milford and Stratford where flocks have appeared
(usually at creek mouths) in past years.  I found almost none.  I visited:
Milford:  Oyster River, Woodmont - 18 Bonaparte's Gulls, little else. (1 Greater
Yellowlegs at Anderson Ave.)
Merwin Point - None, but 4 N. Gannets.
Burwell Beach - none.
Morningside - none, but 3 N. Gannets.
Point Beach - none.
Bayview Beach (Melba St./Pen Meadow Creek) - none.
Gulf Beach - none.
Laurel Beach - none.

Stratford:  Short Beach - 1 Bonaparte's among 4000 +/-  Herring and Ring-billed
Gulls that were resting and seeking shelter from the strong NW winds (gusts to
46 mph).  They lined a part of Short Beach, the offshore breakwater, and the
Milford Point sandbars.
Nothing at Long Beach, nor the Stratford Seawall, except 18 N. Gannets at the

It will be interesting to see if the Bonaparte's flock remains in Southport

Frank Mantlik