[CT Birds] Boneys and Gannets, Greenwich

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Tue Mar 27 14:13:20 EDT 2012

Filling in the Boney map- I had exactly 3 BONAPARTE'S GULLS today in Greenwich harbor- one at the end of Steamboat Road and two at Grass Island.  The latter is a usual magnet for them, but they have not been as common there this year as last- at least when I've checked.

From Steamboat Road I had several GANNETS, at least one as close or closer than Island Beach. I wish I had more time to watch their comings and goings at dawn and dusk, but lunchbreaks are currently the best I can do regularly.

Nicest view of the day was a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET on Grass Island, working its way through a spruce only a yard or two away.  And in a nearby birch, a CAROLINA WREN singing a song I had never heard before ("Che-be-da"), but still recognizable by it's rich voice!

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com