[CT Birds] Mocking bird numbers

Larson Eric eric_r_larson at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:54:04 EDT 2012

Chris points out several good reasons for the surge in mockingbird numbers in the Northeast, but the recent trend towards decline may not be solely due to environmental changes, but just a simple phase of a predator-prey cycle ( for a good overview - http://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/dynamics-of-predation-13229468)  where the predators are on the rise.  As the numbers of mockingbirds increased, they may have fallen prey to and increased success of predators (cats, feral and house associated, predatory hawks, and other nest-raiding species, e.g. crows, raccoons ).  Also, a decline in competitors for their niche may have contributed to the rise, and return of the competitors (e.g,. other songbirds that also feed on multiflora rose hips) may contribute to the cycle.

In the end, who knows?

Message: 10