[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities in April

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 10:04:12 EDT 2012

Please note the following New Haven Bird Club's schedule of
activities for April:

Indoor Meeting:

Monthly Meeting, Thursday, April 12.  Twan Leenders — Build It and
They Will Come?  Free and open to the public.  The Jones Auditorium
of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington
St., New Haven, CT.
For better or worse, Connecticut’s environment has long been impacted
by human actions. Many of our threatened and endangered species have
historically declined because of the loss or alteration of their
habitat. Some have declined to the point where human action is needed
to improve their plight. How do we select the right habitats?  What
species should be the focus of our conservation and habitat
management strategies? And what can realistically be accomplished in
these tough economic times? Connecticut Audubon’s Conservation
Biologist Twan Leenders will provide an inside look into the habitat
management and restoration projects that take place in some of the
state’s prime birding areas, including Stratford Point, Milford
Point, and Goshen’s Croft Forest Preserve. A native of the
Netherlands where he earned a PhD specializing in Animal Ecology,
Twan has researched declining animal populations in Central and South
America, he has worked at the Peabody Museum, and taught at Sacred
Heart University. He currently oversees habitat conservation and
management activities for CT Audubon.  Social half-hour at 7:00,
program begins at 7:30. For more information call 203-230-1697 or
visit www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

As per the Club’s by-laws, the April meeting is traditionally the
Annual Meeting, which includes presentation of a slate of officers
and their election.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Cove Island Park, Stamford.  Wednesday, April
4, 2012, 7:30 a.m. Free and open to the public.  Join us at this fine
birding location in southwestern CT as we look for early spring
migrants and lingering winter residents. The park is an excellent
place to see rare gulls, waterfowl, sparrows and other species.
Directions: From I-95 North take exit 9 turn right at end of ramp
onto Seaside Avenue. Follow to end, turn left at the light onto Cove
Road.  Cove Park is at the stop sign. Go all the way to the end of
the parking lot, look to the right past the ball fields.
 From I-95 South take exit 9 turn left at end of ramp onto East Main
Street. First light is Seaside Avenue turn Right.  Follow to end,
turn left at the light onto Cove Road.  Cove Park is at the stop
sign. Go all the way to the end of the parking lot, look to the right
past the ball fields.  Leaders—Patrick Dugan and Mike Moccio.  Contact
—Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com.

East Rock Birding and Trail Maintenance.  Saturday, April 14, 2012,
8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public.  Meet at the Eli Whitney
Museum parking lot for a bird walk from 8 to 9 am.  Then join Park
Ranger Dan Barvir and help with light trail maintenance along the
river from 9 am to 12 pm.  Bring work gloves and pruning shears if
you have them.  Leader: Dan Barvir: 203 946-6086.

Richard English Memorial Field Trip.  Sunday April 15, 8:30 a.m. Free
and open to the public.  Meet in the Lighthouse Point Hawk Watch
parking lot and bird the harbor for gulls, loons, ducks, and early
returning shorebirds. We will then proceed to the Richard English
Bird Sanctuary on Deer Lake in Killingworth and then finish our
birding tour with a visit to Hammonasset State Park in Madison. This
is an all-day trip so bring lunch and dress warmly.  Leader—Mike
Horn: 203.288.1891, mfhorn at att.net

Ansonia Nature Center, Ansonia.  Saturday, April 21, 2012, 8:00 a.m.
Free and open to the public. Join our past-president as she leads a
walk at this fine birding site. The nature center has a small pond,
wetlands, thickets, grassy fields, and woods. The woods have had
Northern Goshawks and Great Horned Owls nesting there and there are
often other surprises.  Meet at the nature center parking lot on
Deerfield Lane (off Benz Road) in Ansonia.  Leader—Maria Stockmal:
203 488-3876, m.stockmal at snet.net.

Bird Walk for Kids at East Rock Park, New Haven.  Saturday, April 28,
2012, 9:00 a.m.   On this walk by the park's Mill River, children,
accompanied by adults, will search for warblers and other spring
migrants. Other interested adults are also welcome to join the walk
in this famous spring birding site. Meet at the Eli Whitney Museum
parking lot. Bring binoculars and a field guide if you have them.
Leader-Florence McBride: 203.288.6777, j.mcbride at yale.edu.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director