[CT Birds] Don't stereotype accipiters

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 20:50:36 EDT 2012

I was driving a couple of miles from home today on a back road when I saw a
 bird in the road eating something. I figured it was the usual crow with a
run-over squirrel scenario, but as I got closer the bird grabbed the
carcass and  half flew, half dragged it to a driveway at the side of the road. It
was a  squirrel all right, one that had seen better days, but the bird was a
 Sharp-shinned Hawk! Guess that proves they will eat something other than
birds  and mice, but I wouldn't have guessed road kill. I drive through there
several  times a week and have seen a sharpie flying near the same house a
couple of  times before.
Don Morgan