[CT Birds] mockingbird follow-up

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 29 07:55:55 EDT 2012

Hi Arthur,

The Breeding Bird Survey (used for our mockingbird analysis) involves randomly
located survey routes, each 24.5 miles long with separate stops at half mile
intervals.  In CT there are data from 18 routes that went into our analysis.
Because a randomization process was used to pick routes, they should do a good
job of sampling most common habitats.  In general, it is survey methods that do
not have this type of standardization that run the risk of generating serious
biases in data sets.  The BBS, however, is not good for rare habitats.  Because
the survey routes all run along secondary roads, the survey is also not so good
for habitats not generally found along roads (e.g., it's lousy for salt marsh).
Suburban/semi-urban habitats, however, should have ok representation - though
perhaps not the real inner city.

Chris

 Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT