[CT Birds] [CTBirds] topic of what Raptors eat

Stephen Broker LS.BROKER at COX.NET
Thu Mar 29 21:44:14 EDT 2012

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
During the past 14 years of extensive observations of Peregrine Falcons in their mating season, I have seen peregrines take and consume a number of species of birds (Rock Pigeons mostly, but also Mourning Doves, Northern Flickers (a delicacy), Blue Jays, N. Rough-winged Swallows, Baltimore Oriole (very colorful!), Common Grackles, and a few other species that don't come to mind right now.  (The literature identifies more than 200 species of avian prey items recorded for peregrines worldwide.)  Also, I once saw a peregrine consume a bat.  On just two occasions have I observed a peregrine to eat something dead, and in each case it was the tiercel (male) consuming one of his dead eyasses (chicks).  The ultimate in recycling.