[CT Birds] Nepaug Reservoir birds

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 11:30:30 EDT 2012

Paul C's note about checking inland lakes on days such as this was timely.  As the spring progresses, any time a storm, particularly a violent one, comes out of the northwest especially at or near nighttime, it's not a bad idea to check your favorite local patch.

That said, a check of Nepaug Reservoir In Canton and New Hartford revealed a modest yet decent collection of birds, inclduing a Horned Grebe in transitional plumage, a Common Goldeneye, Common Loon and my first inland DC Corms of the year.  Access points are dicey thanks to our friends at the MDC but it's still possible to scope the water from places off US 202 on the New Hartford side or the end of Torrington Ave. on the Canton side.

At Mills Pond in Canton there was a Northern Rough-winged Swallow with a couple of Trees.  I'd have to check but that might be my only inland March record for this one.  There were hundreds of swallows on Nepaug probably wishing, as I am, for warmer temperatures.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT