[CT Birds] house finch

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 31 15:41:58 EDT 2012

Hi Larry,

Your description of house finches sounds to me like courtship feeding. Although
eggs are being laid now, for a fledgling to be out of the nest, egg-laying would
have had to have started almost a month ago (not impossible, but seems
unlikely).  Male house finches regularly feed females during courtship, and the
fluttering behavior you describe fits. Unless there was clear evidence that the
bird was a juvenile (very fresh plumage, fleshy gape, etc.) I'd go with the
courting pair explanation.

Chris

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT