[CT Birds] 4/1 - Larsen Sanctuary

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 15:21:44 EDT 2012

I conducted my first BBS of the season at the Larsen Sanctuary in Fairfield
today with Brendan Murtha. Although we were not able to confirm any
breeders (predictable at this early date), we had a lot of probables and
were hearing a heckofalotta birdsong for our entire visit. We covered over
two miles and the majority of the many trails that crisscross the
sanctuary. It was a great morning to be out there!

Highlights included:
5 Wood Duck
7 Eastern Phoebe
1 Fish Crow -- my first for Larsen; heard calling
1 COMMON RAVEN -- flyover; calling as it headed over Streamside Trail
13 Golden-crowned Kinglet
3 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
4 Eastern Bluebird
2 Hermit Thrush
1 Pine Warbler
4 Palm Warbler

The checklist, with breeding notes, locations of highlights and photos is
here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10322597

Alex Burdo
Fairfield