[CT Birds] On Fish Crows...

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Mon Apr 2 08:39:14 EDT 2012

For the past few weeks, I have observed Fish Crows flying in a straight
southerly direction over my house, soon after daybreak.  There are several
dozen birds that fly over, all giving their characteristic "caw."  I hadn't
given it much thought before, but it seems highly likely that they are
heading back to the coast for the day, and that they must have a roost to
the north.  It is interesting, because the American Crow has the exact
opposite pattern: they are known to have a roost along the shore and then
fly north from the coast to their daytime haunts.  The symmetry and
separation is interesting.  I wonder if anyone is aware of a Fish Crow roost
in Bethany or Prospect, or somewhere in the Naugatuck Valley.  I am
presuming from this limited observation that Fish and American Crows do not
share roosts sites.

Chris Loscalzo