[CT Birds] Eastford Ospreys

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 13:59:43 EDT 2012

There were 2 Ospreys standing together on the nest at the marsh on Rt 44 in
 Eastford at noon today. I last checked there about 12 days ago and there
was no  sign of activity then, but it appears some materials have been added
to the nest  so they have been around for a few days, I'd guess.
There were 3 occupied Great Blue Heron nests there last time I checked, but
 today I could find only one. One that had a bird on it has apparently
fallen. It  was high in the top of a tree and new last year, so perhaps the
winds we've had  were too much for it. A couple of years ago there were 11
occupied nests, but  the snows of last year's winter brought most all of them
down, along with the  Osprey nest. several were built/ re-built/occupied last
year, but right now it  doesn't look good for the heronry.
Many, many Tree Swallows circling the marsh. No sign of waterfowl, but I
didn't look very hard.

Don Morgan