[CT Birds] Gulls, Gulls, Gulls

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Mon Apr 2 16:43:13 EDT 2012

Great Gull show this morning-

Many birders this morning following the Bonapartes Gulls (looking for
that possible one-hit-wonder Little Gull).

I started just after dawn at Buryinghill Beach- adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull continues with outstanding looks. While I was there,
150 Bonapartes Gulls flew by the jetty and landed off Sherwood Island
Beach pavilion. They eventually flew off heading west towards the
Norwalk Islands along with a few other flocks of 50 or more.

Quiet at Southport Beach.

Over to Stratford, expecting to look for the Iceland Gull at Fifth
Avenue Beach instead with a few other birders found at least 3,000
Bonapartes Gulls surface feeding all along the shore from the east
point of Long Beach spread out to the east to another large
concentration of mostly Bonaparte's Gulls.

Over to the sea wall where the huge concentrations of Gulls continued-
probably 4500+ Bonaparte's Gulls, and many 1000's Herring and
Ring-billed Gulls extending from Marnick's Restaurant to east of Cove
Place Beach point.

Back to Southport Beach- maybe 300 Bonaparte's Gulls, and the drake
Eurasian Wigeon. For anyone checking Southport Beach, look through the
wigeon- I spotted a hen in my binoculars that was a bit different with
a reddish head- possible HEN Eurasian.

Stopped at Oyster River on my way home- not much, but I found and
photographed a stunning adult Iceland Gull mixed in with 75 Herring
and Ring-billed Gulls at Bradley Point.

Keith Mueller