[CT Birds] "frozen" birds

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Tue Apr 3 23:22:12 EDT 2012

Let's not forget that birds fluff themselves up in order to preserve warmth.
A fluffed up bird is by no means dying, perhaps just conserving some bodily heat, and dang, they do close their eyes once in a while, just to nod off.
This is what they do, I have yet to find a dead "frozen" woodpecker, or puffed up and dead of any bird species in our yard due to these calamities.
We get many woodpeckers and they will freeze on spot, this is always due to an avain predator.
Fluffed up birds? This is the natural way for them to conserve body warmth, they are not all dying.
This is true ornithical data, not a guess by any means.
Grab a bird biology handbook, this will answer all these questions and many more.

Larry Flynn
Norwalk