[CT Birds] Banded Sanderlings

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Apr 4 08:11:00 EDT 2012

Hi Donna,

Last fall/winter I was fortunate to have photographed the entire
banding process on two occassions with the DEP at Hammo. They banded
quite a few sanderlings and dunlins and a few Black-bellied Plover and
Ruddy Turnstone. It is possible that these birds could be from either
of those banding set-ups or as Chris mentions; from the Milford
banding process. Recaptures of banded birds does happen a small
percentage of the time, but since there are so many banding set-ups
along the coast and so many birds are beanded-who knows?

I will be posting the shorebird banding from Hammo on my blog in the
near future. (I have been going through the images prepping them).
Keep an eye out for the report, it was a fascinating process.

Happy Birding,

Keith