[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:32:55 EDT 2012

4/4 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  9:30AM-1PM
high tide, 60-65, sunny, light breeze.
9:30-10AM on LIS side- 4 Piping plovers, 3 Sanderlings, a pair of
Oystercatchers, many Ring billed & Herring gulls, about 40 Brant.
On grounds- mourning doves, Red winged blackbirds, Common grackles, Am.
Crows, pair of Mockingbirds, song sparrows, house sparrows, house finches,
cardinals, starlings, robins, a tree swallow and
1 Hermit Thrush.
On marsh-The ospreys are actively nest building-bringing in branches, mud
clumps, seaweed, grasses.
Copulated at 10:15 and 12:15. Fish brought in at 11:30AM, male eating it on
post.
1000+ Brant strung out in long line through the far side of marsh, American
Black ducks, mallards, a pair of RB mergansers, 2 pair of wigeons, 2 pair
of Gadwalls, 16 mute swans, 1 Great black backed gull, 1 Great egret, 14
Bufflehead, 5 Greater yellowlegs, 1 pair of green winged teal (no sight of
blue winged teal pair).
On far side of marsh there is an additional osprey platform on private
property that had ospreys active on it.
 A visitor mentioned that he saw a pair of Piping plovers at Silver Sands.
I had my FOY pair of Chipping sparrows in my Orange backyard at the feeder.
Beverly Propen, Orange