[CT Birds] West Rock Report (Ravens; Falcate Orangetip)

Stephen Broker LS.BROKER at COX.NET
Wed Apr 4 17:22:35 EDT 2012

From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
04/04/12 - Woodbridge & Hamden, West Rock Ridge (ridge top) -- The Common Raven pair continues with 6 growing young in the nest.

During 5 hours on the ridge (devoted mostly to birds, snakes, and a vernal pool), a maximum of four Falcate Orangetip males were observed.  One received species confirmation when seen from 20 feet with 10X 42 binoculars while it settled briefly on a rock outcrop.  The rest of the time it was frenetically covering territory low to the ground on either side of the road.  Twenty minutes of pursuit of this Falcate Orangetip ensued along Baldwin Drive on foot and by car, producing several poor but definitive photographs.  Fortunately, no one was watching.

The orangetip locality:  West Rock ridge top (Baldwin Drive) several hundred yards south of Wintergreen water tank in the lowest dip of road and further to the south on left (Woodbridge) and right (Hamden) sides of the road as it rises back up from this dip.  This stretch of road is north of the quarry site and north of the pullout overlook from which one sees Sleeping Giant.  These are my first observations of Falcate Orange Tip at West Rock Ridge since I reported one here on 21 March 2012.