[CT Birds] Turkey 'romance' time - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 5 09:39:02 EDT 2012

Have been having four male turkeys displaying to up to five hen turkeys over the last few days. It was interesting this morning (5 April 2012, Thursday), after I put up my solo black-oiled sunflower feeder up and put some sunflower seeds on the ground near the feeder and on a stone bench here, how quickly the hen turkeys and then the male turkeys suddenly showed up. I suspect they were watching me put up the feeder. The regular feather "clients" at the feeder area (crows, blue jays, and juncos) were beat to the seed by the all the hen turkeys. It was interesting that the blue jays (at least 10) and a solo red-winged blackbird got to the stone bench before the hen turkeys did though. The male turkey's display to the hen turkeys was impressive of course, with the hen turkeys appearing to ignore the "boys".

David W Babington
Washington, CT