[CT Birds] HAS Monthly Meeting Tuesday, April 10 - Birdscaping: Native Plants for Our Native Birds

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 6 18:40:30 EDT 2012

The beautiful weather that we have been having has us all outside cleaning up
our yards and thinking about new plants for the spring. Before you go to the
nursery, come hear Michael Corcoran talk about the right kinds of plants to use
that attract birds and are not harmful to native flora and fauna. Note that this
meeting is at the Wood Library in South Windsor, next to Vibert Rd. Our programs
are free and open to the public.

Miley Bull will be giving a brief talk on Lights Out Hartford and how it will
help our birds.

TUESDAY, APRIL 10,        2012
7:30 PM – Regular Meeting
Wood Memorial Library
783 Main St., South Windsor

SPEAKER: Michael Corcoran
Birdscaping:        Native Plants for Our Native Birds
Michael Corcoran will share some steps he took in removing  invasive
species on his property to create bird-friendly habitat utilizing native
plants, trees, and shrubs. He’ll provide tips on design and plant
selection for making even small spaces more attractive to native
songbirds. With a  simple understanding of how our native songbird and
native plant communities are linked, he created a safe haven for breeding
birds, and a migratory “stop-over” for birds during their seasonal
movements. His yard-list boasts 126 species over 12 years.

Michael Corcoran has a particular passion for migratory songbirds. Over
the past 20 years, he participated in many citizen-based bird population
studies. A Connecticut Audubon Society volunteer since 1994, Michael
helped maintain a migratory bird banding station at CAS’s Birdcraft
Sanctuary in Fairfield, CT. He takes knowledge gained through these
experiences and has applied it to his own 3 acres in S. Glastonbury.

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield