[CT Birds] My Finches are back - Hamden 4/6/12

Mike Horn mfhorn at att.net
Fri Apr 6 20:36:23 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I really missed my yard finches this winter. Neither Pat nor I have seen any finches in our yard since Christmas Count. I've seen both species along the shore this winter but not in my yard. This morning we were greeted with meeuuing and we looked out to see 2 goldies and a house. By the end of the day there were 7 between the two thistle feeders.

The following is speculation. The finches we see in the cold winters are not the same crew we see in the summer but rather migrants fleeing the cold north looking for food. Our summer finches in turn migrated south somewhere for the winter. Because we had a mild winter in the region, the winter finches never showed and the summer finches migrated somewhere anyway (even if only to the shore line). P.S. The Robins do it.

Welcome back to our yard. You were missed.

Mike and Pat Horn - Hamden, CT